H-1B Specialty Occupation Nonimmigrant Visa

The H-1B Specialty Occupation Nonimmigrant Visa Classification is for foreign workers with the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree or higher to temporarily live and work in the U.S. in a specialty occupation as a professional.  An H-1B requires an offer of employment in the U.S. in a specialty occupation within the foreign worker’s degree field.


1. Equivalency: Experience or a combination of experience and education can be used to satisfy the Bachelor’s Degree equivalency requirement.

2. Prevailing Wage: U.S. employers are required to pay 100% of the “Prevailing Wage”, as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor to prevent undercutting wages of U.S. citizens.

3. Cap & Availability: Only 65,000 H-1B1 visas are available per year for new employment.

Existing H-1B Workers are Not Subject to the Annual Cap and may file H-1B Petitions to Extend Status or Change Employers.

4. Lottery: U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) has enacted a Visa Lottery System for H-1B Visa applicants in recent years including for the fiscal year 2017.  The reason is that USCIS has received and is expected to continue to receive more H-1B Petitions per fiscal year than the Cap of 65,000 per fiscal year.  In recent years, USCIS has received over 200,000 H-1B Petitions per year.  Unless U.S. Congress passes a law to increase the H-1B Cap, the lottery, or random selection process, will most likely be used every year for the foreseeable future.

5. Visa & Status Validity: H-1B petition approval and visa issuance is for a maximum of 3 years per application and admission in H-1B1 status are for a maximum of 6 years.

6. Spouses & Children: Spouses and children (under age 21) of H-1B Professionals are entitled to obtain dependent H-4 visas and status.  H-4 spouses are NOT eligible to apply for an “Employment Authorization Document (EAD)” and are NOT allowed work in the United States.

7. Green Card: The H-1B classification can lead to Lawful Permanent Residence (Green Card) if the U.S. employer offers permanent sponsorship.

If you are interested in applying for a H-1B Visa or Status, please schedule a Consultation with Widerman Malek Celebration Law Office to discuss the legal requirements and filing procedures.  Also, Contact Us for free initial information and pricing.

Contact Us Today

Widerman Malek Celebration Law Office
506 Celebration Avenue
Celebration, FL 34747.
Phone: (407) 566-0001

Widerman Malek, PL
1990 West New Haven Ave. Suite 201
Melbourne, FL 32904
Phone: (321) 255-2332
Fax: (321) 255-2351
Toll Free: (877) 868-7239

the florida bar

Send Us A Message

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.